Spatial Nautilus or windows training

Colin Charles linux at bytebot.net
Mon Apr 12 11:16:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 08:45, Steve Bergman wrote:

> > Plenty of usability studies. Read desktop-devel-list at gnome archives, or
> > even usability at gnome. Many websites out there have links to stating why
> > its useful, its not only the OS X feature... Ars Technica had a writeup
> > that did bear a lot of influence on the GNOME team though
>
> Could you point me to a specific thread?  Searching desktop-devel-list
> and usability archives for "spatial" only serves to indicate that there
> was very little discussion and that most of the commentary about opening
> folders in their own windows was negative.  I saw no mentions of any
> usability studies at all.

Well, a link was posted:
http://www.arstechnica.com/paedia/f/finder/finder-2.html

Searching around that might help too

> As to being a nice player, if the nautilus guys jump off a bridge, I see
> no reason that Fedora necessarily needs to follow.  Spatial still looks
> like a UI disaster to me.  I hope I'm wrong.

Fedora aims to keep in line with mainstream as close as possible - if
you hate the view, take it up with the GNOME developers

(whom will promptly most likely ignore you on d-d-l, since its been
discussed and beaten to death)
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/