KDE & /dev/dsp

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Mon Apr 12 10:44:14 UTC 2004

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:43:51 -0400, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:

> > > needs a configuration in modprobe.conf?
> >
> > ALSA is split into a native ALSA driver device and an OSS/Free
> > compatibility driver device (Open Sound System is the audio
> > driver code in the 2.4 kernel series and earlier). ALSA's OSS
> > drivers are included from /etc/modprobe.conf, too. Look out for
> > the "include" line.

> Ah. something new --> include /etc/modprobe.conf.dist
> There is a bunch of goodies in modprobe.conf.dist

Those are the entries for ALSA's OSS compatibility devices, e.g.
/dev/dsp

> > > However, when I try to play some *.ogg files, I hear no sound/music.
> > >
> > > Any ideas here?
> >
> > Which program did you try? Did you ran alsamixer to un-mute your
> > output channels and increase the volume levels. They default to
> > zero/mute.
> I tried xmms and also ran the GNOME alsamixer to un-mute everything.

There's a GNOME alsamixer in Fedora Core 2 Test 2? I referred to the
text mode program "alsamixer", which should be used when XMMS is
configured to use ALSA, too.

> For now, maybe I should make the manual entries in modprobe.conf?

As a work-around yes, but non-working soundcard detection is a bug
and you should report it.