selinux and kernel.org kernels

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Apr 12 16:49:45 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:19, "Gene C." <czar at czarc.net> wrote:
> On Monday 12 April 2004 08:20, Russell Coker wrote:
> > The Fedora kernels often have newer versions of the SE Linux code than
> > the kernel.org kernels.  If you get the latest Fedora kernel then you
> > have a version 17 policy, with a kernel.org 2.6.5 you get version 16.
> > The latest Fedora tools for compiling policy etc support version 15, 16,
> > and 17 (backwards compatibility with older Fedora kernels) so you
> > shouldn't have any problems.
>
> Is there someplace where the differences between the current and future
> policy versions (15, 16, 17, etc.) are described?

Policy V15 is the basic stuff that is being used at the moment.  V16 is that
plus policy booleans which are not being seriously used yet (we have one for
ping as a demo).  V17 is V16 plus IPv6 support.

For most people the differences between those policy versions won't matter
much as booleans and IPv6 aren't getting used much at the moment.  All that
matters is that you have the version needed by your kernel.