Gnome panel still giving me a headache

Kjartan Maraas kmaraas at broadpark.no
Mon Apr 12 11:54:43 UTC 2004

fre, 09.04.2004 kl. 10.26 +0100, skrev Paul:

> Hi,
>
> I've searched around, removed likely stuff and put it back as well, but
> still can't get the applets on the right hands side of my panel bar to
> launch/start up when logging in.

You mentioned earlier that you had to remove a gnome-panel binary
from /usr/local to get the correct version loaded - do you have applets
in /usr/local/libexec too and are these being loaded maybe?

> In temp, I have my orbit-paul directory. There are two bonobo files in
> there (one is a lock) and pile of 0 byte size files. What are these?
>
> I've looked in .gconf, .gconfd and the .gnome family directories and
> can't see anything there. I doubt I would as the problem seems to be for
> all users of this system - it therefore has to be something in /tmp or
> something in /etc/X11. There are a lot of things in /usr/libexec for the
> applets, should these be in there or are they placed there when they're
> asked to be placed there?

That's the correct placement for the applets. Could you try running one
from there on the command line and then adding it through the panel
right click menu?

Cheers
Kjartan