HOWTO

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Apr 12 18:43:21 UTC 2004

Ben Steeves writes:
> On Sun, 2004-04-11 at 13:16, jim tate wrote:
> > Can someone tell howto convert a PDF file into another format
> > to print it so you can read it.
>
> Umm... PDF is meant for printing.  Or do I misunderstand you?  Do you
> want to read it on the screen?

As I understand his problem, the print is too small. I'm not aware of anyway to preserve the look and feel of PDF while changing the fonts, especially if the desire is for larger bolded fonts preferred by people who have difficulty reading standard print.

I think the generic issue here needs better solutions--but that's a discussion for another day. Options at the moment are the pdftotext suggested below--then read or print in your favorite font. Or, perhaps the limited magnifier available on the desktop might help. If you have a dual frame buffer card you can also use the magnifier that is part of the Gnopernicus screen reader--but that does require the dual frame buffer hardware because of how X works historically.

Of course, I should ask whether you can use HTML documents rather than PDF. Certainly these are available on LDP and are probably a better chopice if you need to enlarge and/or change the font face either for on screen viewing or for printing.