procmail-related selinux messages

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 13 00:44:07 UTC 2004

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 06:47:52PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 02:23, Thomas Molina <tmolina at cablespeed.com> wrote:
> > On this system I run fetchmail as a daemon.  Mail is delivered using
> > sendmail with procmail recipes.
> Why would procmail want to access /var/spool/mqueue?

There is a situation where sendmail is bypassed by fetchmail and 'procmail'
or another MDA is used to deliver mail into the spool.

It should be visible with fetchmail -v (it was for me when something
was broken a year or so ago).

I believe, there is a common degenerate case where sendmail is not
active or broken and procmail is invoked.  (ensures that there is no
open relay ... ).

I tried but cannot quickly duplicate this...  Perhaps this needs a
multidrop multi user situation to cause issues since I can read and
write my own spool file.

>From the fetchmail man page.
       If no port 25 listener is available, but your  fetchmail  configuration
       was  told  about  a  reliable local MDA, it will use that MDA for local
       delivery instead.  At build time, fetchmail  normally  looks  for  exe-
       cutable procmail(1) and sendmail(1) binaries.

I suspect lots of folks with limited ISP services will see this.
i.e. no personal domain, DHCP, external mail drop and delivery.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l