PCMCIA Problem

Timothy Graves nova at xuttuh.org
Tue Apr 13 01:38:56 UTC 2004

Timothy Graves wrote:

> I am running Fedore Core 2 test 2 on a HP Pavilion laptop.  I am using
> a Netgear FA411 pcmcia nic.
>
> The problem that I am having is that upon first boot after install I
> will insert the nic and configure it, and it works till I shutdown or
> reboot.  On the next reboot (or cold start) eth0 is not enabled.  I've
> searched on this problem and it seems to be present from fc2t1 and
> there are posted workarounds that are said to work, but I have not
> been able to get them to work for me.
> Any help would be apreciated.
>
> Timothy Graves

I have a resolution to this problem, although its quite hackey.

I added these two lines to /etc/rc5.d/S99local

/sbin/modprob yenta_socket
/service pcmcia restart -

I'm not sure wether the "-" is needed but thats how this webpage had the
script
http://fedoranews.org/colin/fnu/issue7.shtml

Timothy Graves