4KSTACKS again

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Tue Apr 13 19:08:00 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 16:01, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 02:58:58PM -0400, Brian Gerst wrote:
>
>  > Nobody is asking you to support the nvidia drivers out of the box.  What
>  > I and others have issue with is the -nostack patch, which is unnecessary
>  > and a gratuitous "screw you" to users who want to recompile the kernel
>  > SRPM without hacking apart the patches.
>  >
>  > It is now an *option* in the standard kernel, leave it as an *option* in
>  > your kernels.
>
> It's going away in mainline too. (Possibly by 2.6.6 final.)

I think it would be nice that, in the future, if these sort of options
are being mainlined, that the Fedora kernels should retain them as
options (enabled/disabled as appropriate for their future status) until
such time as they do become mainlined.  It would prevent this kind of
unnecessary angst.

NVidia is, of course, at fault here by not a) releasing their drivers as
source and b) not fixing this problem sooner.  But just 'cos NVidia is
dragging their heels is no reason to penalize their users AND hurt the
testing process by forcing those users to compile their own kernels
(thereby invalidating their systems for kernel testing).

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves