Re; 4KSTACKS again.

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Apr 14 03:31:13 UTC 2004

Once upon a time, Dan <fedora-list at planetmirror.com> said:
> <cough> I'm sorry - no-one says nVidia or ATI or anyone else *have* to do
> anything. If I've spent my hard-earned development dollars on a driver
> that - admitedly being closed source - ...
<snip>

This is the known risk they take from day one of releasing a binary-only
module.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves; you only
have to read Linus' posts on linux-kernel to see that binary-only module
compatibility is _not_ to be expected between any two kernels (even the
same release with different options, compilers, etc.).  It has been this
way since loadable kernel modules were introduced.

nVidia (and ATI and ...) may have good business reasons for making that
choice, but it is a choice that nobody forced them to make.  Unless they
did no research before making the decision, they knew that this could
(and would) happen at any time.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>