4KSTACKS again

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Apr 14 13:52:01 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 13 April 2004 15:08, Ben Steeves wrote:
> NVidia is, of course, at fault here by not a) releasing their drivers as
> source and b) not fixing this problem sooner.  But just 'cos NVidia is
> dragging their heels is no reason to penalize their users AND hurt the
> testing process by forcing those users to compile their own kernels
> (thereby invalidating their systems for kernel testing).

It has been stated here before, and I'll state it again.  Running a binary
only black box kernel module of any kind automatically invalidates your
system for Fedora kernel testing.  This is not new.

I fully intend to try out the Linuxant WLN driverloader with the IPW2100
drivers; when I do, I'll have to accept any kernel related problems I find.
The same thing is true with WMware, most linmodem drivers, etc.  Any binary
only driver during testing is pretty much verboten and voids your bug report
against the kernel.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology