Re; 4KSTACKS again.

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Wed Apr 14 14:14:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 10:36, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Ben Steeves <bcs at metacon.ca> said:
> > I'm sorry, I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall here.  No one has
> > answered my actual question yet, which is: what's the difference between
> > providing the XXXXXXXX compile option and supplying a kernel with it
> > turned ON, and enabling XXXXXXXX in the kernel without a compile
> > option?  Wouldn't the resulting kernel be -- for all intents and
> > purposes -- the same, while providing people who depend on a particular
> > compile option the ability to compile kernels from the Fedora kernel
> > package?  Wouldn't that make everyone reasonably happy?
>
> Did you read the messages in this thread?
>
> It was stated that this option is going into the mainline kernel, and
> that it will probably be the default, and probably (maybe after a
> release or two) go away as an option.  Fedora is simply jumping the gun
> a little because of test schedules.

I could accept RedHat incorporating options into the mainline early if
they were internally testing kernels with and without the option enabled
as another poster suggested they may do.  If they do, I question why
they would bother, if they know the option is going to mainlined
anyway.  I just question the wisdom of jumping the gun.

OTOH, if they hadn't jumped the gun, and provided the option, the nVidia
users might quietly be compiling their own kernels and not complaining,
and the traffic on this list would be reduced.  There wouldn't be any
more testing of the option, though, as they'd be compiling their own
kernels from the kernel source rather than the Fedora package.

> If you don't like that the option is going in the mainline kernel and
> may soon go away as a user-selectable option, this is not the place to
> complain.

No where did I even suggest that I like or dislike that.  Actually, I
did mention that I could care less, I think.  If the option is going to
to be mainlined -- fine -- set the option as it will be mainlined in the
default kernel and it will get tested.  But why remove the build option
altogether?  That seems gratuitous and unnecessary.  That's the only
question I have, and it remains mostly unanswered.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves