Re; 4KSTACKS again.

Andy Ross andy at plausible.org
Wed Apr 14 22:02:31 UTC 2004

[I don't want to prolong this thread any longer than absolutely
 necessary, but unfortunately the flames are getting ahead of the
 facts in some cases, and I worry that the core points still aren't
 being understood.]

Chris Adams wrote:
> The kernel developers try to reduce configure options where possible
> [...] If change ABC make the kernel run better [...] then just make
> change ABC.  Don't make it a configure option, just make the change
> to the code.

Just so you are aware: the current kernel snapshot (which is a little
under 9 hours old as I write this) has a configurable CONFIG_4KSTACKS
option, and it defaults to N.  They *did* make it a configure option.
The FC2 kernels, alone among publically available kernel sources, have
removed that option.

This is the essence of the complaint: the FC2 kernel is not simply
tracking the Linus tree, it's actively pushing development in a
direction that makes it impossible for NVidia users to test their 3D
stuff under FC2*.  Some people think that is a poor choice, and would
like the Red Hat folks to rethink the decision before the release.

Andy

* At least with the software Red Hat is distributing.  I'm happily
  running FC2 with a stock 2.6.5 kernel for now, FWIW.