FC2R2 Cannot mount NTFS

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at ckloiber.com
Thu Apr 15 08:01:19 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 12:57, VB wrote:
> I installed Fedora Core 2 Test 2 and configured the
> kernel with NTFS support but I get the following:
>
> [root at localhost root]# mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1
> /windows
> mount: block device /dev/hda1 is write-protected,
> mounting read-only
> mount: cannot mount block device /dev/hda1 read-only
>
> Is this an issue with Fedora Test 2? I've always used
> the NTFS rpms for NTFS support before 2.6 kernel.

In-kernel NTFS write support is not available beyond editing existing
files, and not changing their size by even one byte (according to the
help available during make config).  If you want real read-write
support, I heard there's a project out there to wrap around the Windows
.DLL responsible for handling NTFS. I don't recall the name, so Google
is your friend.

--
Chris Kloiber