ASUS SK8V and Sound

Karen Spearel kas11 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Apr 15 13:01:33 UTC 2004

Gene C. wrote:
> OK, I am looking for someone who has a ASUS SK8V motherboard (the one for
> socket940) and who is running Fedora Core 2 Test 2.  There appear to be a
> number of folks who have the ASUS K8V socket754 motherboard and it may truly
> be identical except for the socket but I do not know that so I am focusing on
> the SK8V.
>
> My problem is sound.  The SK8V has a VIA8322 adapter on the mobo ( VIA
> Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)).
>
> It does not work on FC2.  It works fine on FC1 but the sound drivers are OSS
> on FC1 and ALSA on FC2.  On FC2, everything (e.g, system-config-soundcard)
> goes through the motions but no sound comes from the speakers.  Yes, I have
> the volume settings all maxed out and (after the selinux policy was fixed)
> that seems to be working ... but no sound.
>
> Anyone with an SK8V and running FC2, is your sound working or not?

Gene,

Does your sound slider snap back to zero when you adjust it?  It does
here on a clean/un-updated install of FC2T2 x86_64 for both a user and
root.  Sound is not working on my K8V on the selinux-enable install
although it is working fine on the selinux-disabled install.  Sorta
looks to me like this problem is that the audio output level is being
forced to zero...will test further when up2date is completed...although
I am wondering if libselinux is going to cause problems since I find no
revised x86_64 version anywhere.

KAS