Via C3 & RH FC2 Kernels

Johannes Erdfelt johannes at erdfelt.com
Thu Apr 15 19:48:28 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004, Andy Green <fedora at warmcat.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 15 April 2004 18:54, Johannes Erdfelt wrote:
>
> Hi Johannes -
>
> > I just installed FC2T2 on an EPIA-M with no problems other than the
> > guessing this is a BIOS issue, not a CPU issue.
> > [root at localhost root]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
>
> This is identical on my machine running the 2.4 kernel, except it is at 600MHz
> and 1196.03 bogomips.

Mine is just running at 400MHz because of the cpuspeed daemon. It's
really a 600MHz part and will run at that speed if the system needs to.

> There is a fantastic app called dmidecode someone mentioned on a Fedora list,
> it has all kinds of info, you can get it from the kernel-utils package.
>
> This says the board has an Award BIOS v6.00PG 11/26/2002.
>
> Not sure how the BIOS could break the kernel decompression?  When I have had
> the problem before - the same problem - switching to an i586 kernel package
> made it work fine.

                Vendor: Award Software International, Inc.
                Version: 6.00 PG
                Release Date: 06/02/2003

That's strange. It looks like the same BIOS, but completely different
release dates.

Regardless, I think the install boot loader problem I (and others) had is
a BIOS issue, and not the issue you are talking about.

I'm installing the 1.322 kernel on the system right now and I'll see if
it works on my system.

I'm running the i586 kernel FWIW.

JE