mounting nfs fails- reason given by server: Permission denied

Tomaz Beltram tomazb at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 16 07:44:26 UTC 2004

I made a fresh installation of FC2 test2 (server configuration, SELinux
disabled). I am sure I have missed something because I can't mount an
exported filesystem, not even locally! E.g.:

[root at komet root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs start
Starting NFS services:                                     [  OK  ]
Starting NFS quotas:                                       [  OK  ]
Starting NFS daemon:                                       [  OK  ]
Starting NFS mountd:                                       [  OK  ]

[root at komet root]# rpcinfo -p
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100024    1   udp  32769  status
    100024    1   tcp  32768  status
    100011    1   udp    889  rquotad
    100011    2   udp    889  rquotad
    100011    1   tcp    892  rquotad
    100011    2   tcp    892  rquotad
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    3   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    4   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
    100003    3   tcp   2049  nfs
    100003    4   tcp   2049  nfs
    100021    1   udp  32770  nlockmgr
    100021    3   udp  32770  nlockmgr
    100021    4   udp  32770  nlockmgr
    100021    1   tcp  32769  nlockmgr
    100021    3   tcp  32769  nlockmgr
    100021    4   tcp  32769  nlockmgr
    100005    1   udp    905  mountd
    100005    1   tcp    908  mountd
    100005    2   udp    905  mountd
    100005    2   tcp    908  mountd
    100005    3   udp    905  mountd
    100005    3   tcp    908  mountd

[root at komet root]# exportfs localhost:/tmp -o no_root_squash

[root at komet root]# exportfs -v
/tmp            localhost.localdomain(ro,wdelay,no_root_squash)

[root at komet root]# showmount -e localhost
Export list for localhost:
/tmp localhost.localdomain

[root at komet root]# mount localhost:/tmp /mnt
mount: localhost:/tmp failed, reason given by server: Permission denied

The interesting thing is that rpc.mountd seems to have authenticated the
request as can be seen in /var/log/messages

Apr 14 13:18:18 komet nfs: Starting NFS services:  succeeded
Apr 14 13:18:18 komet nfs: rpc.rquotad startup succeeded
Apr 14 13:18:19 komet kernel: Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996
okir at monad.swb.de).
Apr 14 13:18:19 komet nfs: rpc.nfsd startup succeeded
Apr 14 13:18:19 komet nfs: rpc.mountd startup succeeded
Apr 14 13:19:29 komet rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from
localhost.localdomain:934 for /tmp (/tmp)