mount.cifs fails where nautilus works

BRONC bronc at coxfiber.net
Fri Apr 16 18:00:15 UTC 2004

The latest cifs vfs code from smaba.org seems to correct the "-13 permission
denied" problems --- at least with arjanv's 2.6.5-1.326 kernel.  I haven't
tried this with the current development kernel.

Here are the steps I did to get it to compile:

1. You will need to have the kernel-source installed.

2. Download the latest cifs vfs

  http://hostopia.samba.org/samba/ftp/cifs-cvs/cifs-1.0.8-2.6.tar.gz

3. Un-tar and copy is contents to your /usr/src/linux-2.6.5.???/fs/cifs
directory, overwriting all the old files.

4. At this point make modules will fail with an error that reports "too few
arguments in connect.c (sock_create).  A diff of the connect.c from the
original test 2 cifs/connect.c showed an extra ", 0" (comma zero) on the
sock_create line.  Adding this to the new cifs/connect.c allowed it to compile.

Replace both occurrences of:

   rc = sock_create(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_TCP, csocket);

With:

   rc = sock_create(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_TCP, csocket, 0);

5.  From the top of you kernel tree do a "make modules modules_install".  Cifs
should now compile with no errors and mount.cifs should work... at least it
did for me.