athlon64 cool&quiet / powernow-k8

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sat Apr 17 20:53:56 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 16:26, Satish Balay wrote:
> Apparenty some athlon64 motherboards (asus/msi/gigabyte) support
> cool&quiet - and powernow-k8 appears to be the driver in linux for
> this.
>
> The last I checked - this appears to be disabled in kernel options
> (i686 kernel)
> $ cat /lib/modules/2.6.5-1.326/build/include/config/x86/powernow/k8.h
> #undef CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8
>
> Any word on supporting this in Fedora (1 or 2) (686 or x86_64)
> kernels?  I don't have athlon64 machine - but curious about Fedora
> support for this feature..

FC1, no. backporting cpufreq to 2.4 constantly takes a lot of effort,
and I'd rather devote those cycles to something more productive.

FC2, its enabled in the 64bit build, but you're right, it is disabled
for the 32 bit kernels. I've not heard from anyone actually testing
it in this mode, so I've no idea how well it actually works, but
it should be 1:1 with running it in 64 bit mode.

Arjan, any comments on enabling it ?

	Dave