Cannot boot

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Sun Apr 18 03:00:17 UTC 2004

mike wrote:
> i have just done a ftp install (no cdrom), install went fine but now it
> wont boot.
>
> It stops with "cannot mount /dev/hda2 due to unsupported optional
> features"
>
> Also no initrd is installed
>
> Any one any idea how I can get this to boot?

This problem sounds like you will have to use one of your prior Boot
CDROMS and go into rescue mode. Hopefully, it will find a valid Fedora
Linux Installation.

If it finds an installation, it should tell you something like chroot
/mnt/sysimage/ (not sure of what it exactly says).

After you are chrooted to your non-booting ftp installation. Try to
mkintird /boot/mykernelversion.img 2.6.mykernelversion and wait for the
mkintird process to complete.

If chroot puts you in multiuser mode, switch to another terminal and
check your /boot/grub/grub.conf file to see if things will match what
you specified for your manually created intird image.

I'd file a bug report against anaconda to inform developers of the
current rawhide tree install.

You might wat to check your /root directory (not /) to see what anaconda
and the install text files reveal about the ftp install.

Good Luck! I'm fighting multiple installation of different packages and
other issues. I'll probably just do an ftp install myself since my test
SELinux version is well beyond easy managability. Also with the many
package changes with X, kernel, SELinux  recently.

Jim