FC2 menus

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Sun Apr 18 19:55:12 UTC 2004

I don't like the menus that come up on FC2.

While the menus on FC1 may not have had the applications I would like come up
in the main menu, there was "More" pointing to a submenu to get additional
application.  Now with FC2 there is only the top level menu.  Is this the
upstream approach to menus?  If it is, it is not very good!  There is far too
much on the First selection menu.  For example, on an everything install
system, the Games menus has to be scrolled to see anything.

Furthermore, it does not include additional applications when they are
installed.  I was installing firefox on an i686 system and a x86_64 system (I
now have it working).  At first neither had Mozilla Firefox on the menu.  I
could see it when I did StartHere->Applications->Internet but not in the
menu.  I brought up the properties for Firefox too see if there was some
selection to make it appear but saw nother and closed it ... oops, it is now
on the menu ... this was on the x86_64 system.  Sure enough, there was nor an
entry in ~/.gnome2/panel2.d/default/launchers/ for firefox.

So, is this a fluke?  I try and repeat it on the i686 system ... nothing.

I know that one of the objectives for Fedora Core is to stay close to what is
being done upstream but there is also a matter of sanity.  How do we go about
configuring menus so they are reasonable?

I understand that menu editing in gnome has been broken for some time now but
that this is something in the works which will implement menu editing.  Will
this be ready for FC2T2 final.  It seems to me that this late in the FC2
process, the answer has to be no.  In that case, I suggest that the menus
need to be structure more like they were in FC1 ... at least I can live with
that one.  The current situation with all Games grouped under a single Games
menu just does not cut it for me.
--
Gene