xkb mods no longer working

George Garvey tmwg-fedorat at inxservices.com
Mon Apr 19 02:06:07 UTC 2004

   I use a Mac keyboard. It is the only one I can find that still has a
touchpad in it. I'd be very interested if anyone knows of a source of a
"broken in half" (I've forgotten the technical term for the new way of
laying keyboards) with a touchpad, I'd like to know. The one I'm using is
not well made, and breaks after a few months, and is expensive. But I find
mice very hard on the hand, and don't really want to find I have some hand
problems in the future.

   But the real point is I made a modified xkb geometry, keycodes and
keymap files for it to swap the alt and window squiggle key (whatever it
is). This suddenly stopped working quite a while ago, before the switch to
X-org. I now suspect that gnome started doing its own skb stuff, and
ignores what the server loaded.
   If that is true, where can I find out how to configure gnome the way I
did XF86Config? I can't seem to find docs on how this works in gnome. It
was difficult for me figuring out how to do it in X ;) But at least there
was documentation I could find.