Java 1.5.0(Yeah I know it's Beta, so shoot me!)

Sean Bruno sean.bruno at dsl-only.net
Mon Apr 19 20:44:31 UTC 2004

I have been conducting some serious load tests of Java 1.5.0 under
Fedora Core 2.  Basically I was looking for a 2.6 distro that I could
test SMP performance of Java 1.5 against.

I have FC2 installed(fully patched to daily updates) and running.  I ran
into a serious issue that I cannot debug at this point when I updated
the Kernel from 2.6.5-1.319smp to 2.6.5-1.322smp.  The Dell PE 2650(dual
P4) completely locks up when I get anywhere from 4 to 10 of these Java
programs running.  Under the .319 release, I can run 48 instances of
this application without issue.

The lock-up is so serious, that I cannot remotely do anything to the
box, the console is unresponsive and the front panel "power button"
doesn't respond.  I pretty much have to pull the power out of the back
of the machine.

So, I looked at the kernel change log from the RPM, and I see no
evidence of anything even remotely close to what I am seeing.

More than that, the machine has no useful logs about memory usage or any
"oops" that may have occurred.

So, 2.6.5-1.319smp works great for me, but 2.6.5-1.322 and higher
completely locks.  Any ideas?

--
Sean Bruno
Telecommunications Engineer