Java 1.5.0(Yeah I know it's Beta, so shoot me!)

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Apr 19 22:48:06 UTC 2004

Sean Bruno writes:

> I have been conducting some serious load tests of Java 1.5.0 under
> Fedora Core 2.  Basically I was looking for a 2.6 distro that I could
> test SMP performance of Java 1.5 against.
>
> I have FC2 installed(fully patched to daily updates) and running.  I ran
> into a serious issue that I cannot debug at this point when I updated
> the Kernel from 2.6.5-1.319smp to 2.6.5-1.322smp.  The Dell PE 2650(dual
> P4) completely locks up when I get anywhere from 4 to 10 of these Java
> programs running.  Under the .319 release, I can run 48 instances of
> this application without issue.

Don't tell me that you're running x86?  With FC1's 2.4 kernel on x86_64 I
can make it blow chunks without breaking a sweat, using Sun's 1.4 javac.  I
was hoping that the kernel bug would be fixed in 2.6, but it looks like
things are going from bad to worse.

The x86 kernel seems to be fine.  It looks like I was being too optimistic.
It looks more likely now that 2.6 will not have a stable kernel either for
the x86 or the x86_64 platform.

> More than that, the machine has no useful logs about memory usage or any
> "oops" that may have occurred.

Heh.  At least I get an oops.  Bad to worse…

> So, 2.6.5-1.319smp works great for me, but 2.6.5-1.322 and higher
> completely locks.  Any ideas?

Well, if you're the adventurous type, you can compare the two kernel spec
files, and begin tossing out patches one at a time, until you find one that
breaks things.