Problem upgrading to test2

Carl Youngblood carl at youngbloods.org
Tue Apr 20 18:09:36 UTC 2004

Hello, I've been following the instructions in an article on
fedoranews.org that explains how to update one's system from Fedora core
1 to core 2 test 1, only I'm trying to do it for test 2 instead of test1
(the instructions are basically the same--I just need to download the
apt rpm from a different location).

The article is here:

http://fedoranews.org/ghenry/apt-fc2/

I can get as far as being able to run apt-get update with no apparent
problems.  However, when I try to run apt-get dist-upgrade, I get a long
list of proposed changes and then an error message like this:

 kernel#2.6.5-1.322: PreDepends: fileutils
                     PreDepends: module-init-tools
                     PreDepends: initscripts (>= 5.83) but it is not
going to be installed
                     PreDepends: mkinitrd (>= 3.5.5) but it is not going
to be installed
E: Internal Error, InstallPackages was called with broken packages!

Apparently these packages are part of the coreutils package, which can't
be removed without hosing the system.  Does anyone know a way that I can
get around this?  Right now my apt is in an unusable state because it's
core 2 test 2's apt but it's running on core 1.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Carl Youngblood