more bad GPGs

Will Backman whb at ceimaine.org
Tue Apr 20 18:17:42 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 13:50, alan wrote:

> > If yum is the future... eliminate up2date.
> > If up2date is still acceptible, please fix whatever is wrong.
> >
> > Sorry, for the rant... but it is legitimate

<rant relay race>
I hope we can avoid too many <flame attractor>half-baked</flame
attractor> choices.  I'm one of those nut jobs that hopes for
standardization.  I walk into a lot of linux or unix places and I have
to spend half the day figuring out what choices people have made.  I
think up2date tries to do what pax tried to do for archives, yet few
people use the tool that was designed to bring peace to the archive
world.  It would be nice if using RedHat and Fedora meant knowing what
tool to use by default.  Right now with Fedora, it seems like there is
apt, up2date, and yum.  Heck, even if up2date was just an alias for yum,
at least I would have a standard meta-command that would point me to the
update-tool-flavor-of-the-month.</rant relay race>