more bad GPGs

John P. Mitchell john at cepros.com
Tue Apr 20 18:37:00 UTC 2004

> On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 13:50, alan wrote:
>

>> > If yum is the future... eliminate up2date.
>> > If up2date is still acceptible, please fix whatever is wrong.
>> >
>> > Sorry, for the rant... but it is legitimate
>
> <rant relay race>
> I hope we can avoid too many <flame attractor>half-baked</flame
> attractor> choices.  I'm one of those nut jobs that hopes for
> standardization.  I walk into a lot of linux or unix places and I have
> to spend half the day figuring out what choices people have made.  I
> think up2date tries to do what pax tried to do for archives, yet few
> people use the tool that was designed to bring peace to the archive
> world.  It would be nice if using RedHat and Fedora meant knowing what
> tool to use by default.  Right now with Fedora, it seems like there is
> apt, up2date, and yum.  Heck, even if up2date was just an alias for yum,
> at least I would have a standard meta-command that would point me to the
> update-tool-flavor-of-the-month.</rant relay race>
>

> --

No rant here, would just like to voice that both of these are real issues
for me as well. I have been able to work around them though.

I use up2date and the signature issue is very troublesome. I now download
all of the RPMs via FTP and then install them with the rpm freshen flag.
At least then I can ignore the machine while it updates, instead of baby
sitting it by clicking over and over again.

I was very confused as to how all of the various update tools are working
together. At least if there was a default tool, it would make me "feel"
better. Also, some explanation/documentation about the changes to update
tools, how they do/do not work together, and the strengths/weaknesses of
each would be nice.

Regards,
    John P. Mitchell <john at cepros.com>
    Email Sticker: My Boss is a Jewish carpenter
    http://www.GoboLinux.org | User #00010110