rpm questions

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Tue Apr 20 22:31:55 UTC 2004

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, seth vidal wrote:

> > Cause for inconsistancy: For me - yum broke (it just hanged haflway
> > through).  I was in 'strace' - and didn't know here it was hanging -
> > so I used Ctrl-C - which left duplicate entries in rpmdb for some
> > packages. Perhaps glibc change somehow messed up rpm underneath? I
> > intend to do a fresh install fo FC2test3 on this machine - will see
> > how things go..
>
> an rpm update is a two step process internally
> first it installs the new package
> second it erases the old one
>
> if it died half way through you'll have some old packages sitting
> around.

Yeah.. it must have been throuh one pass - (or more) before the
hang. I didn't capture the log - so can't say where it was.

After manually doing 'rpm -e' on the older versions - I did a 'rpm -V'
and found missing files - mostly doc stuff..

Looking at my comand history - 'strace' was one of the packages that
was being updated - so perhaps 'strace yum update strace' doesn't
work.

I'm curious to know if the original poster landed in this same
situation without yum..

Satish