yum problem glibc x86_64

Neal D. Becker ndbecker2 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 21 18:31:27 UTC 2004

I think I'm making some progress.  My guess about the problem is correct.
There are also issues with some other packages, including openldap, which
also has multiple versions.

I believe this is a serious problem for yum to deal with.  I suspect what it
needs to do is to treat these multiple versions as completely independent
packages, with independent dependencies.

So basically, an x86_64 machine wants x86_64 packages, but if there is an
i386 package, it should be treated as an independent upgrade when upgrade
is requested, and the logic for choosing i386/i686 should apply to that.
Does that make sense?