Scanner does not work as user

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Thu Apr 22 01:48:10 UTC 2004

Roland Wolters wrote:

>>>Well, I was able to scan under FC1, too.
>>>So you might be right about the missing xsane changes and selinux...
>>>
>>>Roland
>>
>>It looks like it is a device permission issue. I tried it from a root
>>shell and it scanned the item perfectly and I didn't have to configure
>>anything.
>

> Well, I don't think that is a permission issue. I can noot scan as root, too,
> so it seems to be something different, maybe depending on selinux.
> I will start a bugzilla entry today, I think...
>
> Roland

The system that I tested the root functionality on had SELinux off. I am
http downloading a fresh install to see if the sound test works on first
try and now to see if the scanner works as a normal user and as root. At
least the scanner issue gives more to test than just the sound test on
first boot.

The system that I'm fresh installing on was my SELinux test machine that
had many multiple package versions and would only allow X to work up to
a certain kernel version. SELinux was active with the later kernel
version but not active with the earlier kernel version.

A link to the scanner bugzilla report will be helpful. Scanning seems to
be the only non-SELinux related problem with the current rawhide mix,
barring incomplete content on some mirrors. (No glibc packages on
mirror, but in header)

Jim