Desktop issues discussion proposal

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Thu Apr 22 11:08:31 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 10:33, Nils Philippsen wrote:

> > > The functionality you are referring to is now in the computer icon. You
> > > just go there and you can mount/unmount to your heart's desire :)
> >
> > I know. But it is less efficient, if you *work* with your Fedora system
> > (and not only play around). You have to move your program windows around
> > to get access to the icon. Right click onto a free desktop space
> > anywhere is much more convenient. (I know, as an alternative I can click
> > through the panel menu - is not better as having to rearrange your
> > program windows)
>
> Forst having to look for a bit of free background isn't really
> convenient to me, not the least because I tend to run many programs
> maximized ;-). I always found it a bit cumbersome to first look for free
> background or having to use the "hide all windows" button, then to click
> somewhere on the background to mount/umount CD-ROMs, USB sticks and the
> like. Now I use the Disk Mounter applet (Add to Panel->Utility->Disk
> Mounter) and this really cuts it, i.e. to mount/umount I always click on
> the same location of my desktop.
Personally I find all of this rather "mute".

I don't want to have to right click, left click, double click, dance a
jig or any other arcane stuff just to be able to read the
cdrom/floppy/flash/mp3player/etc device that I have just put in to my
machine.

I just want to go to the blasted directory. So once all the auto-mount
stuff is fully functional then I'll be more then happy, at which point,
the context sensitive menu's and panel applets and every thing else will
not really be required. Or at least, not by a lot a lot of people.

Just my opinion.

Doug