Gnome sound

Elaine Normandy enormandy at stardel.com
Thu Apr 22 12:28:43 UTC 2004

I saw a brief question on this topic a few days ago, but it didn't go
anywhere.   I would like to try to get gnome sounds working on my PC.

Card:  VT82C686 AC97 (Via Technologies)
Driver: snd-via82xx

After a reboot, I have to run system-config-soundcard to use XMMS.
Then, playing ogg files with XMMS works fine.  I can also use the CD
Player after setting the control with alsamixer.  The command aplay also
works.

Nothing I seem to do with alsamixer ( or gnome-alsamixer) makes the
gnome sounds appear.  I've noticed one curiosity in gnome-alsamixer
where some of the controls are doubled (this seems to be in Bugzilla) .

Any suggestions?  I use yum update every morning so my installation
ought to be reasonably current.

--
Elaine Normandy (Colorado Springs)
Weblog: http://www.stardel.com/fiveacres/