Gnome sound

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Thu Apr 22 12:54:44 UTC 2004

On Thursday 22 April 2004 08:28, Elaine Normandy wrote:
> I saw a brief question on this topic a few days ago, but it didn't go
> anywhere.   I would like to try to get gnome sounds working on my PC.
>
> Card:  VT82C686 AC97 (Via Technologies)
> Driver: snd-via82xx
>
> After a reboot, I have to run system-config-soundcard to use XMMS.
> Then, playing ogg files with XMMS works fine.  I can also use the CD
> Player after setting the control with alsamixer.  The command aplay also
> works.
>
> Nothing I seem to do with alsamixer ( or gnome-alsamixer) makes the
> gnome sounds appear.  I've noticed one curiosity in gnome-alsamixer
> where some of the controls are doubled (this seems to be in Bugzilla) .
>
> Any suggestions?  I use yum update every morning so my installation
> ought to be reasonably current.

In my case the sound adapter is on the motherboard (ASUS SK8V with Opteron
140):
00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C/VT8235 PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)

I gave up and disabled the adapter on the motherboard.  Plugged in an Ensoniq
ES1371 and it works fine.

There appears to be something basically broken with the snd-via82xx.  I posted
stuff here and on the alsa mailing list but got nothing.  There is still an
bugzilla report open on this but I am not hopeful on a solution any time
soon.

In my situation I was able to use another sound adapter.  If you have this
situation on a laptop, you may be SOL.  I believe the OSS stuff is still in
the kernel but not enabled.  You may be able to create your own kernel with
OSS enabled and ALSA disabled.  However, I am not sure how the rest of the
stuff (e.g., kudzu) will handle things.
--
Gene