PPPD needs compilation again

Kontogiannis Theophanis tkonto at aegean.gr
Thu Apr 22 18:46:40 UTC 2004

Hi all

I wanted to try out FC1 to see if it can be used as my on-demand pppd router
to connect my house to the internet
Well (as RH9) it has problems with pppd.

I MUST use the "active-filter" option wich is not compiled in the pppd that
ships with FC1

so I have to download the SRPM and recompile.
BUT: After recompilation of pppd  with this option enabled, the daemon STOPS
working/colaborating with wvdial (exactly the same problems with RH9 - for
some reason after recompiling pppd, wvdial stops connecting to the modem)

So I have to make a whole MANUAL workaround to have the pppd interface
started on demand (actually I have to install and setup the interface via
the GUI for network setup and then change the /etc/ppp/peer/.... script not
to use wvdial but chat and also remove the wvdial options from the
/etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts/ifcfg-....<whatever>

Could we have the pppd compiled by default with filter option set to Yes AND
tested against wvdial usage?

thank's
theo

Theophanis K. Kontogiannis   -   ICT Engineer
Peripheral Department of Information and Communication Systems - AegeanNET
University of the Aegean (www.aegean.gr <http://www.aegean.gr>)
Post Addr: Vourliotis Building, GR-83200, Karlovassi, Samos, GREECE
Phone: +30 (227) 308 2065   FAX: +30 (227) 308 2169   e-mail:
tkonto at aegean.gr <mailto:tkonto at aegean.gr>
The quality of our bug fixes is proportional to the quality of your bug
descriptions..."
"Needs are the only motive to create solutions... "
"Knowledge is the only stock you should invest on..."
"In Penguin We Trust..."