services being started without permission

Thomas Molina tmolina at cablespeed.com
Fri Apr 23 01:46:42 UTC 2004

It is very disturbing to me that services are being started, and modules
loaded when I have specifically disabled them.

lvm is started merely based on whether lvm.static exists and is
executable.  rpm says that lvm.static is needed by mkinitrd.  I don't have
logical volumes set up so there is no reason to start it.

I don't have nfsv4 configured, and I don't want it.  chkconfig is supposed
to manage idpmapd, statd, and the others.  However, I do want nfs.  The
nfs script starts idmapd based on whether /usr/sbin/rpc.idmapd exists and
is executable.  If I specifically disable the service using chkconfig,
some other script has no business starting it anyway.

I also specifically disabled iptables.  However, something is loading
iptables anyway.  I haven't figured out what yet, as I have just begun
looking at this issue.