inspiron 9100 woes (broadcom 440x nic)

Iain Buchanan iain at pcorp.com.au
Fri Apr 23 07:25:49 UTC 2004

I recently received an inspiron 9100, which has some interesting
hardware.  Supposedly the network card ("broadcom 440x") is the same as
the one in the inspiron 8600, which a colleague of mine use the b44
driver with no probs.  Mine seems to have some peculiarities.  I get
strange messages when I ifup/ifdown it (loading the module seems to go
fine):

b44: eth1: BUG!  Timeout waiting for bit 80000000 of register 428 to clear.
b44: eth1: BUG!  Timeout waiting for bit 00000002 of register 42c to clear.

The first one appears many times in the syslog, the last one appears
once at the end.  And of course, even though ifconfig shows the
interface, the lights aren't on and I can't ping around!

lspci -vv shows:
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401 100Base-T (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Dell Computer Corporation: Unknown device 8127
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-

However, when I kind of disable the wireless pci card, the b44 seems to
work fine.  By kind of, I mean play around with the bios settings to
disable various pci / wireless things.  I still haven't singled it down
yet so I don't know the minimal amount of things to disable and keep the
broadcom working.

I'm using kernel-2.6.5-1.327smp, with most of the updates as of
22-04-2004, selinux disabled from anaconda.

Any help would be appreciated.  This is probably not related to fedora
specifically, but I thought someone here might be able to help.

TIA,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain at pcorp.com.au>