More NFS Problems

Quasar Jarosz masterra at m-ra.net
Fri Apr 23 16:06:36 UTC 2004

While looking for a solution to my problem, i came across a few messages
in the archive for this list, where some people were having the same
problem, but no one ever offered any fixes, or enough information to
figure it out.

I have two Debian machines, one RedHat 8 machine, and a Fedora Core 2
test 2 machine. One of the Debian boxes ("new") runs an nfs server. I can
mount it just fine from the second Debian system, as well as the RH8 system.

However, when i try to mount it from the FC2 machine, i get this:

[root at klorel root]# mount new:/home /mnt/new
mount to NFS server 'new' failed: server is down.

If i actually bring the nfs server offline, i get:

[root at klorel root]# mount new:/home /mnt/new
mount to NFS server 'new' failed.

so i know it's actually connecting to it.

Also note:

[root at klorel root]# mount -v new:/home /mnt/new
mount: no type was given - I'll assume nfs because of the colon
mount to NFS server 'new' failed: server is down.
RPC Error: 0 ( Success )

I have googled for days and found only the references from this lists
archives, and no one in #fedora (freenode) has encountered this problem.
With their help i've tried many different things, and nothing has helped.

Also, nothing is logged (/var/log/messages), before you ask.

And:

[root at klorel root]# rpcinfo -p new
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper