Odd ALSA problem

Kevin Freeman kfreem02 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 25 19:29:22 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-25 at 16:58 +0100, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> All users of my main box are members of the group "sound". /dev/dsp* is
> set to belong to root.sound so that all members can have access to the
> sound system.
>
> If I log in as the other half, xmms works fine. Log in as my son and
> xmms is fine. Log in as me and xmms is fine. Good so far.

snip

> I've just done ls /dev/dsp* -l and /dev/dsp, /dev/dsp1 and /dev/dsp2 is
> set to paul.sound while /dev/dsp0 (symlinked to /dev/dsp) is set to
> root.sound.
>
> How can something set as root.sound change to paul.sound?

How are you setting those permissions on /dev/dsp*?  I am guessing that
you set them in an rc file.  If that is the case then pam is re-setting
permissions each time someone logs in/out.  You should set the
permissions in the config file /etc/sysconfig/console.perms.  Modify the
sound class permissions as follows:

# permission definitions
<console>  0660 <sound>      0660 root.sound

You can do the same with the v4l, camera, scanner, etc. classes.  My
wife and I use this configuration and have had no problems with audio or
TV (she does not use the scanner or camera).

Regards,
Kevin Freeman