The silliest fix in the world for Wine

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Apr 26 14:10:40 UTC 2004

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 10:46:58AM +0100, Paul wrote:
> This actually works!
> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.6.5 setarch ix86
> where x is the processor type (i.e. 3, 4, 5 or 6)
> Wine then works without any other problems!!!!

Weird. It also works if you turn exec shield off. I presume that setarch is
doing exactly that, somehow? The updated version of the exec shield
"announce" file explains that gcc and binutils are supposed to automatically
deterimine stack-executability requirements. Is the fact that wine doesn't
work with exec shield a bug in gcc, then?