error: Bind to port 22

joe joe at tmsusa.com
Mon Apr 26 18:09:35 UTC 2004

Olu Akins wrote:

> While checking my security logs, I noticed this error
>
> error: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0 failed: Address already in use.
>
> after doing a search, I ran lsof to show the process occupying the
> port  and this is what I found
>
> [root]# lsof -i tcp |grep 22
> cupsd      831    root    0u  IPv4   2232       TCP
> localhost.localdomain:ipp (LISTEN)
> sshd      1019    root    3u  IPv4   2252       TCP *:ssh (LISTEN)
>
> Is this something I can ignore?

This can happen if you change runlevels - for instance if you've
manually gone to runlevel 3 to install nvidia drivers or something -

Of course sshd is running the whole time, but is told to start up upon
entering the appropriate runlevel. If already running, no harm, but you
would see the message you cited above.

A reboot BTW would serve absolutely no purpose here -

Joe