NVIDIA Sound drivers

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Tue Apr 27 06:21:49 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 22:52 -0700, Sponger wrote:
>   Hello all!
>
> I have been using FC2T2(3 now I guess) for a while now....I got these
> drivers to install for my nforce2 mobo:
> NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.rh90up_2.4.20_9
> by doing: rpm -U NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.rh90up_2.4.20_9
>
> But I can not get sound to work at all....I am on the latest kernel from
> today.....any help would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

rh90up_2.4.20_9
refers to Red Hat 9.0, Uniprocessor, kernel version 2.4.20-9

This will NOT work on a current kernel (or any other version than
above).  You need to retrieve the .src.rpm and rebuild it for your
current kernel using:
rpmbuild --rebuild package-name.src.rpm

This should be done as a normal user (compiling as root is *bad*).  To
set that up you need to do the following:
mkdir ~/rpmbuild ~/rpmbuild/RPMS ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/i386 ~/rpmbuild/BUILD \
  ~/rpmbuild/SPECS ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES ~/rpmbuild/SRPMS ~/rpmbuild/i686

(adding ~/rpmbuild/athlon and the others.. is probably not necessary)

Then create ~/.rpmmacros and add this line to it:
%_topdir      %(echo $HOME)/rpmbuild

You'll need to have the kernel-source rpm for your current kernel
installed (since the old nVIDIA src.rpm will not use the new external
module build style), and also because of this issue you'll need to
provide the file Modules.symvers in /usr/lib/linux-<kernelversion>
from /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/build.

As an example (with kernel version 2.5.6-1.327), you'll need to copy:
cp /lib/modules/2.6.5-1.327/build/Module.symvers /usr/src/linux-2.6.5-1.327

(you may have to edit the kernel-source installed Makefile so that it
does not remove Modules.symvers during make mrproper, if the compile
fails complaining about missing this file.. that is the problem)

After that, you should be able to rebuild the package as your user, in
your own home directory rpmbuild.  The nForce driver might still not
work... but this is the process to get you on the way.  I do not have
one of these boards, so I have not been through this process to verify
it works in the end -- corrections by those who have welcome.

I've heard there is open source support for the nforce2 boards, you
really might want to check that out (building the nVIDIA modules might
not work for this new a kernel).
--
Andrew Farris, CPE senior (California Polytechnic State University, SLO)
fedora at andrewfarris.com :: lmorgul on irc.freenode.net