OT - Journaling File Systems?

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Tue Apr 27 18:05:34 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 27 April 2004 10:03, Edwards, Scott (MED, Kelly IT Resouces)
wrote:
> Does anyone know of any comparisons of ext3, jfs, xfs and reiser for
> reliability?  I have googled for it and I found several comparisons
> for how fast they are and how well they store large and small files,
> but I haven't found any that really talk about how well they recover.
>
> I have been testing testing them myself and the results have not been
> what I expected.  I used Fedora Core 2 Test 1 for testing (because I
> had so much trouble getting FC2T2 to install).  I tested it by having
> the NFS client running four different processes accessing it.  One
> was running the fsstress test and the others were just writing the
> date into a file at different rates.

1) Do not use beta/test software to test reliability of things.  The
kernel had debugging information in it, was not optimal, the OS wasn't
stable, etc, etc, etc...

2) Fedora Core 2 Anaconda DOES support xfs/jfs/reiserfs.  You have to
pass these as options at boot time to the installer.  (linux xfs jfs
reiserfs)

3) Fedora Core systems are build around ext3.  Usage of other file
systems is not tested very well, and unexpected problems may occur.
This is not due to a file system problem, more of an operating system
not designed to use said file system.  To properly test, you should
test an operating system that targets said file system for full
operability.

4) NFS may not be an optimal test.  One would start with local disk
access, then extend it to other scenarios which may bring their own
instabilities into the picture.

Was I helpful?  Let others know: