ssh client timeout?

Kepa Lyman kepa at oceanvoyages.com
Tue Apr 27 20:08:18 UTC 2004

Hi,

By RTFM, did you mean this helpful entry at redhat.com
(http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-5.1-Manual/manual/doc120.html)

"E.9.3 How can I setup Secure Shell (SSH) on my linux system?

Due to United States of America export restrictions on munitions, Red Hat
Linux can not distribute ssh. The site ftp.replay.com has set up various
downloads of ssh and PGP."

(*&^(*^&^!@ ...  Or the doc search engine at redhat , which for the terms "ssh
timeout" returns for its number one entry:

"1.  Mail Transport Agents  [0.616% Popularity: 0.00000]"

(http://www.redhat.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=ssh%20timeout&ps=10&np=0&ul=/docs/)"

then there's this page:
(http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/ref-guide/s1-ssh-configfiles.html)

which mentions names of config files, but fails to provide any other details.

So then a page at (http://www.openssh.com/faq.html#2.12) mentions a
"ServerAliveInterval" in ssh_client, but in redhat that variable isn't even
in the config file, as FCtest2 includes openssh ver 3.6 and this feature
isn't enabled till 3.8!

Then looking at the ssh_config man page, we find that TCPKeepAlive will keep
the session open, but in the FC ssh_config, this variable is called
KeepAlive.  Trying to use TCPKeepAlive results in ssh not working, and
neither can it recognize ServerAliveInterval, and KeepAlive set to 'yes'
seems to do nothing at all.  So, the open bsd documentation was actually kind
of pointless for FC, since FC has gone and changed key variable names... so,
sure, I'd love to RTFM, but where is it?!

It shouldn't take this much effort to change a simple timeout, but then it
does enforce the saying that "linux is only free if you don't value your
time!"

cheers

Kepa