OT - Journaling File Systems?

Edwards, Scott (MED, Kelly IT Resouces) James.Edwards at med.ge.com
Tue Apr 27 20:39:54 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-test-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:fedora-test-list-bounces at redhat.com]On Behalf Of Jesse Keating
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 12:06 PM
To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: OT - Journaling File Systems?

>On Tuesday 27 April 2004 10:03, Edwards, Scott (MED, Kelly IT Resouces)

>wrote:
>> Does anyone know of any comparisons of ext3, jfs, xfs and reiser for
>> reliability?  I have googled for it and I found several comparisons
>> for how fast they are and how well they store large and small files,
>> but I haven't found any that really talk about how well they recover.
>>
>> I have been testing testing them myself and the results have not been
>> what I expected.  I used Fedora Core 2 Test 1 for testing (because I
>> had so much trouble getting FC2T2 to install).  I tested it by having
>> the NFS client running four different processes accessing it.  One
>> was running the fsstress test and the others were just writing the
>> date into a file at different rates.
>
>1) Do not use beta/test software to test reliability of things.  The
>kernel had debugging information in it, was not optimal, the OS wasn't
>stable, etc, etc, etc...

My logic was just to use the closest thing to what we will be using,
I.E. FC2.  I didn't think the FS stuff would be that affected.  I
really didn't think it through.  My Bad.

>2) Fedora Core 2 Anaconda DOES support xfs/jfs/reiserfs.  You have to
>pass these as options at boot time to the installer.  (linux xfs jfs
>reiserfs)

That works great!  I wish I had known that.  Is that documented
somewhere that I missed?

>3) Fedora Core systems are build around ext3.  Usage of other file
>systems is not tested very well, and unexpected problems may occur.
>This is not due to a file system problem, more of an operating system
>not designed to use said file system.  To properly test, you should
>test an operating system that targets said file system for full
>operability.

Ignoring #1 above for a moment, since we are using FC2 with whatever
file system, it seems like it would be a waste to test them on some
other Distro.  ;-)

>4) NFS may not be an optimal test.  One would start with local disk
>access, then extend it to other scenarios which may bring their own
>instabilities into the picture.

That's true.  It's ironic however that two of them didn't blow up
until I started testing the local disk access.  Again my logic was
just to test it in a manner as close as possible to how it will
actually be used in normal operation.

Thanks
  -Scott

Was I helpful?  Let others know: