APT problem since 1.91

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Wed Apr 28 05:54:59 UTC 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Richard Gardner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been using apt-get since RH9 with few  problems, however I have seen a
> problem when using
>
> apt-0.5.15cncxx.fdr.xxx
>
> currently using
> apt-0.5.15cnc6-0.fdr.11.1.91
>
> The specific problem is proxy related.  With the previous versions,
> the /etc/apt/apt.conf
> file had an entry which you could edit to specifiy your proxy server.
>
> The newer (major) version has a slightly different syntax, and since the
> inception of this change, I can now longer use apt-get from the command line.
>
> I receive the following error:
>
> [root at boomtown root]# apt-get update
> Fetching list of repositories/mirrors...
> E: Failed to fetch mirror list file:

The mirror-select thing uses wget to fetch the mirror-list (since the apt
retrieval methods aren't available from the Lua-interface) -> it doesn't
work directly with apt proxy settings. It could try getting the config out
of apt .. but doesn't currently do so <makes a mental TODO-entry...>

As a workaround, set http_proxy environment variable to your proxy, check
that wget can fetch stuff outside your proxy and then run apt-get
mirror-select.

	- Panu -