file fragmentation, torrents, azureus ?!?!?! Sluggish performance?

Jay Goodman goody at comcast.net
Wed Apr 28 06:10:47 UTC 2004

First part Off Topic:

Just had to step in to kill some FUD...

> A simple "ps agl" yielded the first 'gotcha': java had grown to over 200MB
> (BEWARE of j2sdk-1_4_2_04.  There must be a memory leak somewhere).

The mem leak is in azarues software which relies heavily on JNI (code
outside of java...mainly using the eclipse swt libs).   There is nothing
wrong with the j2sdk-1_4_2 so there is no reason to BEWARE of java.  :)

I used to use azareus but it is so buggy that it is virtually impossible
to use on 600MB+ files with crashing or slowing to a crawl with mem
leaks galore.

On Topic part:

Now that FUD killing is over onto the helpful stuff.
There is setting somewhere in the config menus of
azureus the lets one create the entire file at once
or create the file incrementally as the data chunks roll in.
I'd assume yours is set for incremental file creation which
would make sense with your heavy fragmentation levels.
Flipping off the incremental file creation should help.