Software RAID not working or am I being stupid?

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Wed Apr 28 07:25:42 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 08:17:29AM +0100, Craig Emery wrote:

> Where the partitions say RAID1 they're RAIDed with the same partition on
> the other drive. It felt easier to duplicate /boot and have two swaps so
> the layout would be the same and all partitions the same size. :-$

Well, first of all, the installer can handle mirrored /boot's since ages,
so you can mirror /boot too.  Second, you can mirror swap too, although
I agree it doesn't make sense on non-hot-swappable IDE drives (but it
*does* make sense to do so on hot-swappable SCSI drives, as you're
otherwise still lost when one of the two drives gets problems).

> This is my 1st foray into RAID and I figured grub would not be able to
> grok the RAID so I left /boot as ext3. Funny thing is that before
> getting to the format / install stage, the installer sets up grub and
> says it's going to boot from /dev/md0! Can that be right? Maybe I got
> the primary partition wrong.

/usr is 1 GB, which is *very* small, the rest at first sight looks ok.
Unless you do a minimal installation, thsi probably won't fit.

> Any thoughts? Is this a problem where the installer (Anaconda, right?)
> can't write to RAID partitions?

It can since ages (RH 8.0 or so, IIRC), although it could be a bug in
the FC2 test release (didn't try that myself).

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>