More on file fragmentation, torrents, etc.....

John Reiser jreiser at BitWagon.com
Wed Apr 28 14:21:29 UTC 2004

> [root at fedora FC2-test3-src-i386]# filefrag *
> FC2-test3-i386-SRPMS-disc1.iso: 23626 extents found, perfection would be 4 extents
[and worse ...]

As others have noted: choose the "Allocate and zero ..." option in
View > Configuration > Files.  Also un-choose the "Use Fast Resume ..."
option.  [There is an explicit "Save" button at the lower left of
the pane.  Perhaps this affects the persistence of options.]

Look in /var/log/messages for lines from 'smartd', which monitors
the health of harddrives.  Look for high temperature, seek errors, etc.
On my machine, default configuration of azureus crams a couple months
worth of seeking into just a day.  Watch the "bi" and "bo" I/O numbers
with "vmstat 5".