Downloading the 4GB DVD iso

Brian Bober netdemonz at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 28 14:43:14 UTC 2004

Robert La Ferla wrote:

> What are the best ways to download the 4GB DVD iso image on Windows?  I
> tried the torrent but it was too slow.  I tried via browser and ftp but
> the clients couldn't handle 4GB.  They thought the file was 80MB.   Ideas?

If this happened with a recent version of Mozilla (1.7+), or Firebird (0.8+)
then please report a bug against Mozilla on http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/.

Browsers are generally not reliable ftp clients. You might want to try gftp (or
cuteftp/wsftp if you are on windows) or if you are feeling brave, nc-ftp for
cygwin. Older clients might have a problem with files larger than 4 GB.
Hopefully, the FTP servers hosting the DVD isos don't, but if they are just
mirrors, then some of them might without realizing it. I remember when I used
to host the Redhat 9 DVD iso I created, an older version of proftpd had
problems, but a newer version didn't. I know for a fact IE just cannot handle a
4 GB file through ftp unless its been fixed recently (but I doubt it will be
unless it meant $$ to them).

Bittorrent isn't that slow, you just need to give it some time to speed up. By
the end of the download, I had gotten up to around 120Kbits/s. Let it run, go
to bed and when you wake up, it'll probably be there.

By the way, I didn't know that fedora DVDs were hosted on FTP. Which server is
it on?