HOWTO Remove hardware modules from being loaded during boot???

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Apr 28 16:32:07 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 12:44:02PM -0300, Jean-Rene Cormier wrote:

> What does 'install floppy /bin/true' do exactly?

Nothing beyond returning a SUCCESS status from a command and that
is the whole point.  Likely 'install floppy :' will have the same
effect but I did not try.

> In FC1 I have 'alias
> floppy off' in my modules.conf, does that do the same thing?

Close enough.  Try 'man modprobe.conf' and 'install' directive
is explained there; but in short 'modules.conf' has some
capabilities, like a conditional execution, which were now
relegated to outside programs via 'install'.  These outside
utilities may do any kind of a fancy processing you desire
and this includes not doing anything.

   Michal