Downloading the 4GB DVD iso

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at ckloiber.com
Wed Apr 28 20:02:05 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 00:00, Till wrote:
> On 29/04/04 01:40 ne... Squawked:

> >>You'd think so, but I've never had BitTorrent do
> >>better than 20kb/s on cable, which is painfully
> >>slow :(
> > How long did you leave it running for? Mine started at
> > about 40kb/s and maxed at 140kb/s after a while. I'm on
> > dsl. You also need to make sure your firewall is setup
> > right.
>
> I left it for about 15 minutes at which point it
> was stable on 19-20kb/s.  I have opened port 6881
> on my firewall so it's not that.  I thinks it's
> my provider, we have a limited upload speed of
> 16kb/s. Doesn't BitTorrent work better when you
> can upload faster?

http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/25.html

What ports does BitTorrent use? Will it work with a firewall/NAT?

Prior to version 3.2, BitTorrent by default uses ports in the range of
6881-6889. As of 3.2 and later, the range has been extended to
6881-6999. (These are all TCP ports, BitTorrent does not use UDP.) The
client starts with the lowest port in the range and sequentially tries
higher ports until it can find one to which it can bind. This means that
the first client you open will bind to 6881, the next to 6882, etc.
Therefore, you only really need to open as many ports as simultaneous
BitTorrent clients you would ever have open. For most people it's
sufficient to open 6881-6889.

--
Chris Kloiber